Professional Interpreters for Justice (PI4J) is an umbrella group of partner organisations drawn from the leading professional interpreting and translation associations, the UK’s independent voluntary regulator of professional public service interpreters, and union representatives.
The group represents the interests of professional interpreters and translators, including British Sign Language interpreters. The work of PI4J is guided by a Steering Committee comprising senior executives of the member bodies.
PI4J is committed to a sustainable interpreting and translation service in the public services, including the justice system. It exists to promote the highest standards in professional interpreting and translation and to foster positive relations between those it represents and the users of their services.
PI4J calls for
- The use of qualified interpreters and translators
- Full consultation with the profession
- Sustainable terms and conditions to be offered to interpreters and translators
- Independent auditing of quality and performance
- Independent regulators
- Minimum levels of qualification for interpreters and translators
- Statutory protection of title
Read more about what PI4J is calling for